Irvington Theatre - 2/10 Estey
1337 NE Broadway
Organ installation timeframe: 1924 - 1931
Back to the Oregon Original Theatre Installations page
The Irvington Theatre had an Estey organ (opus #2277) installed in 1924. According to the Junchen opus lists, the instrument cost $10,036. and had a luminous button-style console.
After the organ was removed from the theatre, the console was used to control Sandy Balcom's residence organ in Seattle. The pipework and other parts became part of Hollister Sprague's Burien residence instrument.
From the Oregon Historical Society web site:
The Irvington Theatre was the primary movie house in the Irvington neighborhood for 65 years. Opening in 1925, the theater had 640 seats. After the Lloyd Center multiplex opened in 1986, ticket sales and attendance at the Irvington gradually dropped off. In 1990 the theater closed its doors to the public. The building was remodeled and converted into retail space; today it is the home of Al Yall's BBQ restaurant. A replica of the Irvington marquee rises over Northeast Broadway, a reminder of the days when devoted residents of the Irvington neighborhood frequented the theater.