Return to PSTOS Home Page
Welcome to PSTOS

Rolladium Skating Rink - 3/10 Wurlitzer
Seattle, Washington
Organ installation timeframe: 1952 - 1960
 
Back to the Skating Rinks main page

Click for a larger version of this image (39K)
Rolladium rink just prior to its opening in February 1953.
 
The Rolladium building was very unique in its use of laminated trusses and zeon lighting. At just over 26,000 square feet, the building could accomodate several hundred visitors. Music was supplied by a Wurlitzer organ suspended from the center of the ceiling.
 
The Rolladium Wurlitzer was originally installed December 1924 in Long Beach, California as opus #977, a Style D. According to the Judd Walton Opus List, the instrument was repossessed by the Wurlitzer company and re-sold in 1933 to the Arcade Theatre in Los Angeles.
 
Click for a larger version of this image (56K)
Balcom & Vaughan ad in local newpaper, ca. 1953
In 1934, the organ was moved to Spokane radio station KFPY where it gained a three-manual console. In 1953, the organ found its way to the Seattle area and was installed in the Rolladium Skating Rink by Balcom & Vaughan.
 
The rink opened on February 14, 1952 and was located in the University area. At the time, it was the only roller skating rink operating in Seattle. Mahon Tullis was the popular rink organist.
 
In 1960, the organ was purchased by Bill Carson who installed it in his Bellevue home.
 
Following Bill's death in the early 1980's, the organ was purchased by Jerry Gould of Maple Valley.
 

Rolladium owners, Murphy and Bergquist
The Rolladium was owned by O.G. Murphy and Ivar Bergquist. Bergquist came to the United States from Sweden in 1926. He was the former owner of Century Woodcraft, and made construction and building his life-time career. Murphy was a native of Washington state and lived in Bremerton. He was a building contractor specializing in custom homes. He previously managed Vasa Roller Rink near Lake Sammamish.


About this site© PSTOS, 1998-2004