Return to PSTOS Home Page
Welcome to PSTOS

Music Box Theatre - 2/5 Robert Morton
Seattle, Washington
1414 5th Ave.
Organ installation timeframe: 1928-1958
 
Back to the Washington Original Theatre Installations page

Click for a larger version of this image (27K)
Music Box Theatre two-manual Robert Morton console, date unknown
 
Click for a larger version of this image (110K)
Music Box Theatre, c.1974
The Music Box Theatre opened on August 2, 1928. The architect was Harry Bittman.
 
The theatre had a 2/5 Robert Morton organ. The instrument was later moved in 1958 to a Seventh Day Adventist Church in Mountlake Terrace then sold to Tom Kaasa in 1970. The console for this organ was visible for many years under a blue tarp on the front porch of his Green Lake area home!
 
In the mid-1990's, the instrument was purchased by Bob Zat of Seattle and has since been dispersed for parts. The console now belongs to Mike McDonald of Centralia.
 
The Music Box Theatre building was demolished in 1987.
 
Click for a larger version of this image (129K)
Elaborate facade detailing
 
Click for a larger version of this image (90K)
5th avenue entrance, c.1936
 
Click for a larger version of this image (93K)
Men's lounge, c.1936
 
Click for a larger version of this image (84K)
Music Box auditorium. Organ console is visible in orchestra pit, c.1936
 
Interior/exterior photos and historical facts courtesy Steven Levin, 2002
 

5th Avenue looking North, date unknown. In addition to the Music Box, signage for the Blue Mouse, Coliseum and Orpheum theatres is also visible.
 
Click for a larger version of this image (40K)
February 28, 1987. Photo, courtesy Jeff Fox


About this site© PSTOS, 1998-2004