Return to PSTOS Home Page
Welcome to PSTOS

Imperial Rink - 3/18 Wurlitzer - Wood
Portland, Oregon
S.E. Union
Organ Installation timeframe: 1930's-1970's
Click for a larger version of this image (66K)
 
Back to the Skating Rinks main page

Click for a larger version of this image (49K)
Cecil Teague, c. 1940's
The Imperial Roller Rink originally had a 2/5 William Wood theatre organ. The Wood company later added three Gottfried ranks (Clarinet, English Horn, Kinura) and Sleigh Bells making it a 2/8.
 
Between 1935 and 1941, Balcom & Vaughan added to the organ and installed a three-manual console which was rebuilt from a Wurlitzer two-manual.
 
<---- Here, Portland organist Cecil Teague is shown at the three-manual Wm. Wood console.
 
 
In 1955, a 3/10 Wurlitzer from Portland's Hollywood Theatre was moved to the Imperial Rink and combined with the existing Wood instrument.
 
As was typical for skating rink installations, all pipes, windchests, percussions and traps were located in the rafters above the skating floor.
Click for a larger version of this image (51K)
Wurlitzer Style H console, c. 1960's
 

Imperial Rink as seen during the 1966 ATOE National Meeting
 
Click for a larger version of this image (48K)
Dennis Hedberg in the loft
Click for a larger version of this image (39K)
Imperial Rink pipework
 
The late Jerry Jorgensen was organist at the rink for many years.
 
The organ was eventually removed to storage. It was owned for a time by the McDonalds restaurant chain. In the late 1970's the instrument was purchased by Dr. & Mrs. John Dapolito of San Diego, California.
 
Click for a larger version of this image (39K) Click for a larger version of this image (20K) Click for a larger version of this image (24K)
An assortment of rink stickers, c.1940's
 

Rhapsody on Rollers program, c. 1967


About this site© PSTOS, 1998-2014