Bluebird (Ideal) Theatre - 2/4 Leathurby-Smith
2405 NW Thurman Street
Back to the Oregon Original Theatre Installations page
From the Oregon Historical Society web site:1912 - Ideal
1927 - Senate
1930 - Bluebird
1945 - Elmo
1951 - Crown
1954 - closed
The Bluebird opened as the Ideal Theatre in 1912. The east side of the building still displays the Ideal name and show times. In 1927 the theater was renamed the Senate, then in 1930 it became the Bluebird. Throughout the 1930s, ticket prices at the Bluebird were just 10 cents. Residents from nearby Guilds Lake housing development took advantage of the affordable prices and filled the theater on weekends.
In 1945 a new owner renamed the theater the Elmo. Six years later, the theater changed hands again and became the Crown. The arrival of television and the removal of the Guilds Lake development contributed to the closure of the Crown in 1954. Since the 1950s, the building has been used as a warehouse, a supermarket wholesale center, and a barbershop. Currently it houses Equinox Creative Jewelers.