Return to PSTOS Home Page
Welcome to PSTOS

Rex (Majestic, Progressive, National, Fox) Theatre -
2/10 Wurlitzer, Style 210
Eugene, Oregon
Willamette St.
Organ installation timeframe: 1920-1939
 
Back to the Oregon Original Theatre Installations page

Click for a larger version of this image (91K)
Rex Theatre, c.1910
 
The Rex Theatre originally had a 2/10 Estey organ (opus #1078) installed in 1912. The status of this instrument is unknown.
 

Rex Theatre on right, pre-1913
 
Click for a larger version of this image (16K)
Willamette Street from 10th, date unknown.
 
In 1920, a 2/10 Wurlitzer, opus #379 was installed. Charles W. Hawley was organist in 1922.
 

Postcard from the Rex Theatre, c.1916
 
The theatre also operated under the names Majestic, Progressive and National (National Theaters chain), but the dates these names were used is unknown. In the 1960's, the house was called the Fox (Fox-Evergreen chain).
 
In 1939, the organ was moved to the Garden of Allah restaurant in Seattle. It was purchased by Alden Bice of Seattle in 1953. Mr. Bice was also the owner of the Raymond Theatre 2/5 Wurlitzer during the time it was removed from the theatre.
 

c.1930s
 
Click for a larger version of this image (26K)
c.1940s
 
Click for a larger version of this image (104K)
c.1946
 
According to Rich Hazel of Eugene, the theatre was "...eventually closed and was gutted, and the building is now occupied by the Downtown Athletic Club. The original auditorium ceiling is still present above the indoor running track."
 
Various Willamette Ave street scenes. Rex (Fox) Theatre on right
 
Click for a larger version of this image (27K)
c.1939
Click for a larger version of this image (96K)
Late 1940's
Click for a larger version of this image (33K)
c.1950's
Click for a larger version of this image (13K)
c.1950's
Click for a larger version of this image (65K)
late 1950's
 
Click for a larger version of this image (40K)
1953
 
Click for a larger version of this image (63K)
"Fox Theatre," yellow marquee on right, c.1962.


About this site© PSTOS, 1998-2004